The earthy richness of fresh mushrooms as well dried porcini is intensified by the drizzle of a simple balsamic reduction at serving and is the perfect finish. Any fresh mushroom of your choice will do and while the dried porcini are certainly pricey, as little as an ounce packs a punch. About cleaning mushrooms-please do. Cleaning mushrooms will not ruin them, they are mostly water anyway. At the very least they should be wiped off with a damp paper towel and sturdier varieties can be rinsed under water. Cleaning dried mushrooms is recommended as well. After steeping in hot water, rinse mushrooms and drain liquid by pouring through a paper napkin or filter to collect any grit.
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1-1/2 ounces dried porcini mushrooms
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 pound fresh mushrooms of your choice, cleaned and thinly sliced
- 3 cups Arborio rice
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese (more for serving)
- Sea salt and cracked black pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons Mascarpone cheese
Heat broth in saucepan. Chop porcini into bite size pieces and steep in boiling water for 15 minutes, remove mushrooms, drain and save liquid and set aside.
In a heavy pot melt butter and sauté onions until translucent. Add fresh mushrooms and sauté for another 5 minutes. Add rice and stir to coat completely. Add wine and stir until absorbed. Combine mushroom liquid and broth and begin adding to rice about 1 cup at a time.
Add chopped porcini and continue to add liquid until rice is tender yet firm and remove from heat promptly so as not to overcook. Add Parmesan cheese and season with salt and pepper. Add more broth as needed, add Mascarpone cheese and gently incorporate. Serve with additional Parmesan cheese and drizzle with Balsamic Reduction (recipe follows).
In a small saucepan, combine 1 cup balsamic vinegar with 1/3 cup sugar. Heat over medium to low heat and reduce by half. Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature .
- Baked Polenta with Three Cheeses | Read Recipe
- Creamy Tuscan Polenta | Read Recipe
- Drunken Garlic | Recipe
- Frittata - Basic | Recipe
- Frittata - Main dish | Recipe
- Involtini di melanzane con ricotta | Recipe
- Jill's Potatoes | Recipe
- Lemon Risotto with Roasted Cherry Tomatoes | Recipe
- Nani's Polpette with Mashed Potatoes, Cheese and Bread Crumbs | Recipe
- New potatoes with gorgonzola, sage and pancetta | Recipe
- Peppers and eggs | Recipe
- Risotto Milanese with vegetables | Read Recipe
- Risotto with Porcini and Balsamic Reduction | Read Recipe
- Slow Roasted Tomatoes | Read Recipe
- Spinach with Garlic, Onion and Cheese | Read Recipe
- Stacked eggplant | Read Recipe
- Toasted Polenta Squares | Read Recipe