This simple soup packs a lot of flavor in a bowl. The red pepper adds a bit of zing but is optional. 1 or 2 dried pepperoncini can be used instead and removed after cooking for less heat.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-1/2 pounds spicy Italian sausage, removed from its casing
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 to 5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 2 or 3 larger potatoes cut in small chunks
- 3 cups Tuscan kale, chopped
- Sea salt and cracked black pepper to taste
- Shredded Parmesan cheese
In a large pot combine oil and sausage and cook over medium low heat separating the sausage as it cooks. Add onion, garlic and pepper. Continue to cook another 5 to 10 minutes or until the onions are soft. Do not brown. Add stock and potatoes. Cover and cook until potatoes are just tender. Bring to boil and add kale. Continue to cook until kale is wilted and tender. Season with salt and pepper. Spoon into bowls and top with shredded cheese. Serves 6 to 8.