This version is a standby at our house. A slice or two, popped in the microwave for 10 seconds, is a nourishing start as you head out the door in the morning. Frittatas also make great lunches and light suppers served with a salad or soup and fresh rolls. Here we've included sausage but I often make this version without.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup Italian sausage, removed from casing
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 medium potato, diced
- 3/4 cup sweet red pepper, diced
- 8 large eggs
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup Pecorino Romano cheese, grated
- Fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon salt (more to taste)
In a nonstick fry pan, heat olive oil over medium-low heat. Add sausage, onion, potato and red pepper, taking care to break sausage into small pieces as it cooks. Cover and cook until sausage is done and vegetables are tender.
In a bowl, add eggs and water and whip lightly. Add cheese, pepper and salt to eggs and combine. Pour egg mixture into fry pan, taking care that sausage and vegetables are evenly distributed throughout pan. Cover and reduce heat to low.
Cook for 15-20 minutes or until the frittata sides appear to set. When most of the surface of the frittata seems set except the center remove from heat, place a large plate over pan and invert. Slide frittata back into pan, uncooked side down and continue to cook another 5 to 8 minutes or until bottom is set. Again, remove from heat, place the plate over pan and invert. Allow to cool and slice.
While some prefer to add cream or milk to eggs, I think water makes for a lighter texture. Also, you may prefer to add more than one cheese but keep in mind that it makes for a somewhat "heavier" frittata.
- Baked Polenta with Three Cheeses | Read Recipe
- Creamy Tuscan Polenta | Read Recipe
- Drunken Garlic | Recipe
- Frittata - Basic | Recipe
- Frittata - Main dish | Recipe
- Involtini di melanzane con ricotta | Recipe
- Jill's Potatoes | Recipe
- Nani's Polpette with Mashed Potatoes, Cheese and Bread Crumbs | Recipe
- New potatoes with gorgonzola, sage and pancetta | Recipe
- Peppers and eggs | Recipe
- Risotto Milanese with vegetables | Read Recipe
- Slow Roasted Tomatoes | Read Recipe
- Spinach with Garlic, Onion and Cheese | Read Recipe
- Stacked eggplant | Read Recipe
- Toasted Polenta Squares | Read Recipe